Nutrition for hemorrhoids is an important component of proctological treatment aimed at reducing intra-abdominal pressure in the lower rectum. If you adjust the diet at the first stages of the disease, you can achieve long-term remission, and in some cases complete recovery. In addition, diet therapy increases the effectiveness of traditional treatment (for severe forms of pathology) and prevents the appearance of new nodes (in the postoperative period).
Hemorrhoids are a rectal disease characterized by a pathological enlargement of the veins of the anus.
The first signs of an ailment are blood during bowel movements, itching in the anus, pain during bowel movements. The main cause of the disorder is an increase in intra-abdominal pressure in the vessels of the rectum.
Factors contributing to stagnation of blood in the veins of the anus:
- tension during bowel movements;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- weight lifting;
- dehydration of the body;
- straining during childbirth;
- acute hypovitaminosis;
- diseases of the pelvic organs (cystitis, prostatitis);
- severe cough syndrome (with bronchial asthma).
- prolonged standing.
- alcohol abuse.
In most cases, hemorrhoidal disease develops gradually without the presence of pronounced symptoms. Initially, a person feels a slight discomfort in the anus (during emptying). At this stage, hemorrhoids occasionally fall out, but are easily repaired (independently).
As the disease progresses, there is an increase in pain during defecation, minor bleeding from the anus occurs. In this case, hemorrhoidal "cones" fall out not only during emptying, but also with the slightest physical effort. In the absence of proper therapy, the disease is fraught with serious complications (necrosis, thrombosis, paraproctitis, cryptitis).
At the last stage of the disease, nodes can be eliminated only through surgical intervention, since they are constantly located outside and cannot be adjusted on their own.
The main tasks of the “antihemorrhoidal” diet are the restoration of impaired bowel functions (elimination of constipation or diarrhea), normalization of blood flow in the pelvic organs, and increased vascular elasticity.
General principles of nutrition:
- Observe drinking regimen. Given that the density of feces depends on the amount of fluid consumed, it is important to consume at least 2 liters of water per day to thin the stool. With a lack of drinking resources, the transit of chyme through the intestine slows down. This leads to compaction of feces and damage to the veins of the anal canal (defecation products).
To combat constipation (especially perennial) on an empty stomach they drink a third of the daily volume of water (for 1-1.5 hours). The remaining portion of the liquid is consumed during the day (in small sips).
- Enrich your daily diet with fiber. Dietary fiber is the basis of dietary nutrition for hemorrhoids. Fiber, due to an increase in the volume of feces, contributes to a gentle bowel movement. Along with this, pectins have an astringent, enveloping and protective effect on the digestive tract.
Remember, the diet of people suffering from hemorrhoids should be 50% vegetable fiber.
- Exclude alcohol from the daily menu. Alcohol dehydrates the patient's body, contributing to the dehydration of water from the intestine. With hemorrhoidal disease, alcohol is permissible to consume only during the period of remission (in minimal doses).
- Observe fractional diet. The optimal frequency of meals is 6 times a day. Preference should be given to liquid crushed food: mashed soups, sour-milk products, boiled porridges, fruit smoothies. Fractional diet is indicated in the acute and postoperative period (to reduce pressure on the intestinal wall during bowel movements).
- Chew food thoroughly. This will prevent large particles of food from entering the esophagus, which can damage the lining of the large intestine. For good digestion, solid foods are chewed 30-40 times.
- Consume food in small doses. The size of a single serving should not exceed 250 grams. A dosed diet will help relieve the gastrointestinal tract, and, as a result, reduce pressure on the walls of the anal canal.
- Monitor food temperature. With cracks or prolapse of the intestine, it is important to consume warm food (15-60 degrees). Cold or hot foods irritate the walls of the organ, impairing its evacuation function.
Remember, to maintain the intestines in good shape, it is important to combine a healthy diet with moderate physical activity (excluding weight lifting).
Among the preferred sports can be identified: swimming, gymnastics, tennis, walking, jogging, rollerblading, skiing, ice skating. They improve blood circulation in the pelvic area, train the cardiovascular system, eliminate peripheral edema. In addition, these sports increase the physical parameters of the body, strengthen the immune system, counteract the appearance of hemorrhoids.
List of allowed products
To reduce the risk of developing or exacerbating the disease, a diet by 50% should consist of products that improve bowel function.
With pathologies of the anus, they consume the following food:
- Vegetables. To improve the stool, the daily menu is enriched with products that have a soft laxative effect: beets, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, pumpkin. The intake of starchy vegetables (potatoes, radishes, radishes) is minimized (since they cause constipation). Plant foods are consumed fresh, boiled or baked.
- Sour-milk drinks. It is recommended that people suffering from hemorrhoids enrich the daily diet with the following products: kefir, yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurt. These drinks supply the body with beneficial flora, stimulate evacuation function, accelerate the advancement of the food lump in the intestines, and promote healing of anal fissures.
- Cereals. The following cereals will help reduce the burden on the digestive system: buckwheat, pearl barley, oatmeal, wheat, barley. It is better to refuse consumption of semolina and rice cereals (since they have a fixing effect).
- Fruits. For the prevention and treatment of constipation in the daily diet of patients include bananas, apricots, apples, plums, pears, peaches, strawberries, oranges, figs, dried apricots, raisins, prunes. When choosing a fruit, give preference to ripe fruits, since green ones irritate the intestinal walls.
- Bread. Due to the high gluten content, white flour products are banned. To improve bowel function, it is recommended to consume whole grain baked goods and bread rolls.
- Greenery. The tops of plants, due to the high concentration of vitamin C and rutin, have venotonic and anti-inflammatory effects on the intestinal wall. In addition, greenery supplies the body with iron, which is necessary for the synthesis of red blood cells (especially when bleeding from hemorrhoids).
- Vegetable oils. They envelop the walls of the intestine, stimulate painless bowel movements, and heal anal fissures. The most useful oils are pumpkin, sea buckthorn, olive, linseed, and cedar. With persistent constipation, the product is taken twice a day (30 minutes before the morning meal and 60 minutes before bedtime). However, with stones in the gallbladder, oils are used with caution, as they stimulate bile secretion.
To improve the patient's condition, anti-inflammatory teas (linden, sage, chamomile) are included in the daily diet.
Diet therapy for hemorrhoids involves the exclusion of food from the menu, which stimulates blood flow to the vessels, irritates the mucous lining of the rectum, and increases gas formation in the digestive tract.
The list of prohibited products:
- pastries, puff pastry, white flour bread;
- white sugar;
- wheat pasta (white);
- fried foods;
- spicy spices (mustard, pepper, horseradish);
- semolina and rice porridge;
- fatty meats;
- coffee, black tea, carbonated drinks;
- potatoes, radishes, radishes, onions, garlic, beans, peas;
- whole milk, cream;
- animal fats;
- rich broths;
- quince, blueberries, barberry;
- canned food, marinades, pickles, smoked meats.
In addition, with a prolapse of the intestine, it is important to monitor the amount of salt consumed, since its excess provokes an exacerbation of the disease. The optimal serving of spices is 7 grams per day.
Remember, consuming prohibited foods is permissible only during the period of remission (in limited quantities). Clinical nutrition in the acute phase of the disease should be rigid.
Nutrition after surgery
A planned operation is indicated for people with a severe form of the disease, when conservative treatment does not give positive results. After removal of hemorrhoids, the recovery period lasts 1-1.5 months. During this time, it is important to adhere to a gentle diet (so as not to injure the intestinal wall with coarse substances). In addition, for successful healing of the scar in the first 24 hours after hemorrhoidectomy (procedures to remove nodes), the appearance of defecation should be excluded. In view of this, the daily diet is only a plentiful drink (water, green tea, herbal decoctions). On the second day, it is permissible to include dietary food in the patient's menu.
The list of products for the "first week" after surgery:
- mashed vegetable soups (grated);
- liquid porridge cooked on water (buckwheat or oatmeal);
- steam meatballs (from lean meats);
- low-fat sour-milk products (grated cottage cheese, kefir).
A week later, baked fruits, stewed vegetables, boiled fish and meat are added to the patients menu.
The main principles of postoperative nutrition (in the first month):
- Observe drinking regimen. To avoid the risk of relapse in the daily menu should be present at least 2 liters of water.
- Consume food every 2 hours. Six-time nutrition "facilitates" the process of defecation, "providing" a soft consistency of feces.
- Take food in small doses. To reduce the load on the intestinal tract, the portion size should not exceed 160 grams.
- Use gentle food processing methods. In the first month after hemorrhoidectomy, food is consumed only in boiled, baked or steam form (to exclude the possibility of damage to the intestine by carcinogenic particles).
- Balance the daily menu. To normalize the "stool" in the diet include at least 60% carbohydrates, 30% fat, 15% protein.
Remember, erratic food intake after surgery threatens with serious complications: infection of the scar, rupture of sutures, bleeding from the anus.
What can not be eaten for 30 days after surgery?
During the recovery period, "forbidden" food causes flatulence and fermentation.
List of Inappropriate Products:
- Fresh berries, vegetables, fruits (especially apples, radishes, cabbage, grapes, turnips, garlic, raspberries).
- Legumes (beans, peas, lentils).
- Whole milk.
- Bakery and confectionery products (including whole grain flour).
- Spices, spices.
- Nuts (especially peanuts, almonds, forest).
- Carbonated drinks (lemonade, kvass, mineral water).
- Black tea, coffee.
- Canned food, marinades, smoked meats, pickles.
- Fatty meats (pork, lamb, ducklings).
Subject to the specified rules for a month of diet therapy, the wound is completely healed. Along with this, intestinal motility is restored, the tone of the veins of the anus is normalized, digestion improves. To accelerate the healing of damaged tissues, you can use bactericidal sessile baths (from sage, calendula or chamomile).
Oral folk remedies
To successfully combat hemorrhoids, it is advisable to combine drug treatment with herbal medicine. With regular intake of medicinal herbs, the duration of exacerbations decreases, the period of remission of the disease lengthens.
- Antihemorrhoidal tea from knotweed (highlander). The composition of the "bird" grass includes tannins with hemostatic, regenerating and anti-inflammatory effects.
Tea recipe: pour 30 g of herb over 300 ml of boiling water (80 degrees), insist on a water bath for 15 minutes. After 2 hours, strain the broth and pour into a glass container.
Healing tea is consumed four times a day, 100 ml (10 minutes before meals). The drink from the mountaineer is especially effective during the period of exacerbation of the disease, since it accelerates the healing of damaged epithelium, relieves pain, stops bleeding, and slows down the process of tissue destruction.
- Anti-inflammatory hemorrhoidal decoction. Active ingredients - calendula (30 g), nettle (45 g), yarrow (30 g), sage (35 g), peppermint (25 g), chamomile (30 g), elecampane (45 g), shepherd’s bag (15 d). The specified ingredients are mixed (in dry form) in the indicated proportions, after which they are ground in a coffee grinder. Then 30 g of the mixture is poured into 250 ml of hot water (80 degrees) and insisted for 9 hours in a thermos.
Anti-inflammatory tea is taken three times a day, 50-75 ml (regardless of food). This tool has anti-inflammatory, hemostatic, antiseptic and astringent effects on the body.
- Hemostatic herbal infusion. The composition of medicinal tea includes knotweed (highlander), buckthorn, flax (seeds), horsetail, hairworm (pine marsh). These ingredients are mixed in equal proportions. Then 30 g of dry raw material is poured into 500 ml of boiling water and insisted for an hour in a thermos.
A healing drink is taken three times a day, 80 ml 30 minutes before a meal. This infusion is used to heal anal fissures, reduce bleeding from inflamed nodes, disinfect the anus, and increase intestinal motility.
- Anesthetic for hemorrhoids. To prepare the tincture you will need raw or dried dandelion root. After thorough washing, the raw materials (10 g) are ground on a grater or blender, then they are poured with cold water (250 ml), insisted in a dark place for 8 hours. The finished mixture is taken four times a day, 30 ml. The course of therapy is 10 days.
Sea buckthorn will restore health to the intestines
Sea buckthorn oil is an effective remedy for hemorrhoids, used both in folk and traditional medicine. The usefulness of this product is due to the presence of a large number of venotonic substances.
The main components of sea buckthorn oil:
- Vitamins (A, E, C, F). They strengthen the capillaries of the anus, stimulate the regeneration of injured areas of the epithelium, accelerate the healing of postoperative scars, improve the tone of the vascular bed, increase the elasticity of the walls of the anus, and prevent the appearance of new hemorrhoids (due to an increase in collagen synthesis).
- Tannins (volatile, pectin, serotonin, alkoloids, coumarins). Reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids, stop pain in the anus, eliminate bleeding from the anus.
- Unsaturated fatty acids (palmitic, linoleic, oleic, linolenic, palmitoleic). Improve the rheological characteristics of the blood, prevent its stagnation in the veins of the small pelvis.
- Organic acids (malic, oxalic, succinic, tartaric). Reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process, accelerate the healing of anal fissures, eliminate irritation in the anus.
Sea buckthorn oil is used to treat the disease at all stages of the pathology (including in the acute phase).
During the period of remission, the product is used inside in its pure form (to prevent the formation of new nodes).Dosing schedule: 15 milliliters 2 times a day: in the morning (after waking up) and in the evening (before bedtime). The duration of oil therapy is 60 days.
With exacerbation of hemorrhoidal disease, it is advisable to combine oral and local methods of plant material. To reduce the inflammatory process, oil is applied to the "cones" at least 5 times a day (on gauze swabs). The exposure time of the dressing is 1 hour. If necessary (internal hemorrhoidal nodes), the composition is injected into the anus with the help of turunda or microclysters.
How to cook sea buckthorn oil?
To create a healing potion, it is better to use berries of red rather than orange color (due to the richer ingredient composition).
- Prepare berries for processing: rinse, remove branches.
- Squeeze juice from fresh fruits.
- Dry the sea buckthorn cake in the oven (at a temperature of 40 degrees).
- Grind dry squeezes in a coffee grinder.
- Divide the resulting mixture into 3 parts.
- Pour the first portion of the cake with sunflower oil (refined). The ratio is 1: 5.
- Insist the resulting composition for three days in a warm place (mixing 2 times a day).
- Strain the three-day oil through a fine sieve, discard the first meal.
- Add the second part of dry meal to the “primary” oil. Insist 3 days.
- Repeat the procedure with the third portion of sea buckthorn.
The finished mixture is poured into a glass container and placed in the refrigerator.
Menu for hemorrhoids
Diet therapy for diseases of the anus is aimed at normalizing the digestive tract, in particular the prevention of constipation and diarrhea.
After waking up: 300 ml of water.
Breakfast: 100 g oatmeal, 50 g bananas, 20 g walnuts, 10 g rye toast.
Lunch: 150 ml of cabbage, 70 g of steam cutlets, 10 ml of sea buckthorn oil.
Snack: 100 g of cottage cheese, 50 g of cranberries, 20 ml of thermostat sour cream.
Dinner: 100 g of barley porridge, 70 g of pike perch (boiled), 50 g of a mix of greens.
An hour before bedtime: 150 ml of 1% ryazhenka.
An hour before the 1st meal: 700 ml of water (for 3-4 meals).
Breakfast: 100 g of buckwheat (preferably green), 60 g of cucumber salad, 10 g of bran.
Lunch: 100 g apple-banana smoothie.
Lunch: 150 g of vegetable puree (beets, zucchini, broccoli, carrots), 70 g of steam meatballs, 20 g of whole grain bread.
Snack: 150 g of fruit cocktail (banana, strawberry, prune), 20 ml of honey.
Dinner: 170 g of shrimp and avocado salad, 20 ml of pumpkin oil.
An hour before bedtime: 170 g of "young" kefir (one or two days).
After waking up: 300 ml of pure water.
Breakfast: 100 g of egg omelet, 50 g of fresh tomato, 30 g of fresh herbs (dill, cilantro, salad).
Lunch: 100 ml fruit jelly, 100 g biscuit cookies.
Lunch: 150 ml of fish soup, 100 g of vegetable stew (carrots, broccoli, zucchini).
Snack: 150 ml of calendula tea, 100 g pumpkin pancakes (steam), 20 ml of honey.
Dinner: 100 g of wheat porridge, 70 g of lemon-beetroot salad, 15 ml of pumpkin oil.
An hour before bedtime: 150 ml of green smoothie (cilantro, yogurt, salad).
40 minutes before the morning meal: 800 ml of water (for 3-4 meals).
Breakfast: 150 g of oatmeal, 50 g of seasonal berries (strawberries, blueberries, mulberries), 20 ml of sea buckthorn oil.
Lunch: 200 ml fruit-curd smoothie.
Lunch: 150 ml of green borsch (lean), 70 g of carrot salad, 50 g of turkey (boiled), 15 g of bread.
Snack: 150 ml of knotweed tea, 100 g of apple pie.
Dinner: 150 g of pumpkin stuffed with buckwheat, 50 g of prunes.
An hour before bedtime: 150 ml of yogurt.
After waking up: 300 ml of water.
Breakfast: 100 g of pearl barley porridge, 50 g of prunes.
Lunch: 150 ml of sage tea, 100 g of apple and carrot casserole (on whole grain flour).
Lunch: 150 ml of meatball soup, 70 g of stewed cabbage, 10 ml of olive oil.
Snack: 150 g sliced fruit (peach, banana, apple), 30 g whole grain toast.
Dinner: 150 g of Greek salad (tomatoes, cheese, olives, cucumbers, olive oil), 70 g of hake cutlets (boiled).
An hour before bedtime: 200 ml of yogurt and beetroot mix.
After waking up: 300 ml of water.
First meal: 150 ml of knotweed tea, 100 g of Dutch cheese, 30 g of rye bread (dried), 15 g of butter.
Second breakfast: 150 ml of apple compote, 70 g of pumpkin casserole.
Lunch: 100 g of tomato puree soup (from fresh tomatoes), 100 g of fish steak, 20 ml of sour cream.
Snack: 150 g of dried fruit (figs, dried apricots, prunes), 50 ml of yogurt.
Dinner: 100 g vegetable stew, 100 g squash caviar (homemade), 15 ml of sea buckthorn oil.
An hour before bedtime: 150 ml fat-free yogurt.
After waking up: 350 ml of pure water (passed through a filter).
First meal: 150 ml of herbal tea (sage, dandelion, yarrow), 150 g of oatmeal pancakes (steam), 20 ml of honey.
Second breakfast: 100 g salad of apples and Jerusalem artichoke.
Lunch: 150 g of broccoli puree, 70 g of turkey steak (steam), 30 g of fresh herbs.
Snack: 150 g of apple and cheese salad, 20 ml of sea buckthorn oil, 15 g of bread (rye).
Dinner: 100 g of beetroot and carrot caviar, 50 g of baked potatoes, 15 ml of pumpkin oil.
An hour before bedtime: 200 ml of yogurt mousse with prunes.
Nutrition for hemorrhoids is an integral part of proctological treatment aimed at normalizing the vascular tone of the rectum. Given that in 80% of cases, pathology occurs due to straining with constipation, the main goal of diet therapy is to improve the digestive tract.
To normalize stool and stimulate intestinal motility, the patient’s diet is enriched with water and fiber. These components, working "in a pair", increase the volume of feces, thin out defecation products, reduce the load on the walls of the anal canal, and stimulate soft emptying of the rectum. Natural sources of dietary fiber are greens, cereals, vegetables, fruits. These products should be at least 50% of the daily diet of patients with hemorrhoids.
The daily volume of drinking water should not fall below 2 liters, otherwise constipation cannot be avoided. In addition, it is important to abandon the consumption of products that irritate the gastrointestinal mucosa, increase blood flow to the veins, stimulate gas formation. In case of prolapse of the intestine “under the ban”: confectionery, spices, pickles, marinades, muffin, alcohol, coffee, whole milk, legumes.
Remember, the first signs of hemorrhoids are itching in the anus, pain during bowel movements, and blood discharge from the anus. When these symptoms appear, it is important to immediately begin treatment.